The Middle Tennessee men’s tennis team downed Austin Peay, 5-2, on Thursday afternoon at Buck Bouldin Tennis Center. In the win, the Blue Raiders improve to 5-10 on the spring.
The Blue Raiders opened the afternoon by capturing the doubles point, taking the only two completed matches. Sophomore David Fox teamed up with freshman Sam Matheson for an 8-6 win at No. 2 doubles, while juniors Victor Hoang and Ettore Zito captured an 8-3 victory at No. 3.
MT took four of six singles matches, with all four coming in straight sets. Zito won at No. 1 (6-2, 6-2), Fox at No. 2 (6-0, 7-5), freshman Aaron Jumonville at No. 4 (6-2, 6-0), and junior Yannick Born at No. 6 (6-4, 6-2).
The Blue Raiders return to action Monday with a match at Louisville at 1 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Austin Peay vs Middle Tennessee
3/20/2014 at Murfreesboro, Tenn.
Middle Tennessee 5, Austin Peay 2
1. Ettore Zito (MT) def. ADEMOVIC, Jasmin (APSU) 6-2, 6-2
2. David Fox (MT) def. RISTOVSKI, Dimitar (APSU) 6-0, 7-5
3. TVERIJONAS, Aleksas (APSU) def. Victor Hoang (MT) 6-4, 6-7 (3-7), 10-4
4. Aaron Jumonville (MT) def. SEFFRIN, Iago (APSU) 6-2, 6-0
5. MITCHELL, James (APSU) def. Sam Matheson (MT) 2-6, 6-3, 10-8
6. Yannick Born (MT) def. MONTENEGRO, Manuel (APSU) 6-4, 6-2
1. ADEMOVIC, Jasmin/TVERIJONAS, Aleksas (APSU) def. Aaron Jumonville/Yannick Born (MT) 5-4
2. David Fox/Sam Matheson (MT) def. SEFFRIN, Iago/RISTOVSKI, Dimitar (APSU) 8-6
3. Victor Hoang/Ettore Zito (MT) def. MITCHELL, James/MONTENEGRO, Manuel (APSU) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (4,1,6,2,5,3)