Middle Tennessee women’s tennis dropped a 4-3 decision to Boston University at a neutral site matchup at Barry University on Monday morning.
The Blue Raiders (6-4) dropped a doubles decision. However, MT rebounded with three wins from singles action, just one shy of claiming the match.
In doubles, Boston’s Madison Craft/Kim McCallum defeated Sarah Sediri/Flavia Nagayma 8-1. The Terriers tandem of Leonie-Charlotte Athanasiadis and Johanna Hyoty won 8-5 over MT’s Nayara Moraes/Irina Constantinide at the second court. The first court of Tiffany William and Jesse Grace did not finish.
In singles action, McCallum lifted the Terriers to a 2-0 lead with a 6-4, 6-0 win over Sediri. Lauren Davis defeated the Raiders’ Grace, 6-1, 6-3, to give BU a comfortable cushion.
From there, Middle Tennessee bounced back with a fifth court win from Constantinide over Sami Lieb (6-3, 6-2). The victory was the fourth straight for Constantinide. At the third court, the junior Moraes snatched a 6-3, 7-5 decision over Athanasiadis. In the No. 1 match of the day, Hyoty gave William her first loss of the year 7-6 (4), 6-3. William is now 9-1 on the season. MT closed out the match with a Nagayama win over Barbara Rodriguez, 5-7, 6-1, 6-2.
The Blue Raiders continue their South Florida swing with a visit to unbeaten Barry University on Wednesday. First serve is set for 2 p.m. CT.
Boston University 4, Middle Tennessee 3
1. Johanna Hyoty (BOS) def. Tiffany William (MT) 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
2. Lauren Davis (BOS) def. Jesse Grace (MT) 6-1, 6-3
3. Nayara Moraes (MT) def. L. Athanasiadis (BOS) 6-3, 7-5
4. Flavia Nagayama (MT) def. Barbara Rodriguez (BOS) 5-7, 6-1, 6-2
5. Irina Constantinide (MT) def. Sami Lieb (BOS) 6-3, 6-2
6. Kim McCallum (BOS) def. Sarah Sediri (MT) 6-4, 6-0
1. Tiffany William/Jesse Grace (MT) vs. Lauren Davis/Barbara Rodriguez (BOS) unfinished
2. L. Athanasiadis/Johanna Hyoty (BOS) def. Nayara Moraes/Irina Constantinide (MT) 8-5
3. Madison Craft/Kim McCallum (BOS) def. Sarah Sediri/Flavia Nagayama (MT) 8-1
Boston University 6-5
Middle Tennessee 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,2,5,3,1,4)