Categorized | Cumberland MBB

CU fall just short against RedHawks, 66-64

Posted on 25 November 2014 by Allen

Telvin Wilkerson Cumberland

Cumberland’s Telvin Wilkerson missed a runner in the closing seconds and the Bulldogs were not able to get off another shot before the buzzer, dropping a 66-64 decision to Martin Methodist in men’s basketball action here Monday night at the Dallas Floyd Recreation Center.

Cumberland (4-5) trailed by six with 5:30 remaining after a layup from MMC’s Darius Forrest, but the RedHawks (5-0) were just 2-of-6 from the foul line down the stretch, giving CU a stretch for a comeback.

Josh Wilkerson, who netted 18 points for the Bulldogs, including 14 in the first half, made a layup with 3:13 remaining to cut the deficit to four and after a turnover by Forrest, Marquel Hickerson missed twice for the Bulldogs but Telvin Wilkerson finally converted on the third try, making it a two-point game.

Kadijon Townsend made 1-of-2 free throws the next time down for Martin Methodist, but Telvin Wilkerson was fouled driving to the basket and hit both foul shots, making it a one-point game with 1:39 remaining.

That’s when things got wild-and-wacky, with MMC’s Jamaal Ahmad missing the front end of a 1-and-1. Josh Wilkerson missed a shot for CU, but Paul Williams blocked Josh Watson’s drive to the layup in the final minute and Josh Wilkerson had another chance on a run-out, but he missed the contested layup.

Alex Flagler grabbed the rebound but his pass from underneath the basket was stolen by Watson, who made 1-of-2 foul shots on the other end for a 66-64 MMC advantage with 20.7 seconds remaining. The Bulldogs ran a play for Telvin Wilkerson in the final seconds, but his runner hit the rim and bounced off to Flagler, who wasn’t able to get off another shot before the final buzzer.

Telvin Wilkerson finished with 19 points and six rebounds for the Bulldogs, while DeMario Frazier grabbed nine rebounds despite foul trouble most of the game. Hickerson posted eight points as well for CU.

Forrest led the RedHawks with 18 points and Watson posted 12 points and seven points. Reginald Porter also scored 12 points with six caroms for the visitors.

The Bulldogs started the game on fire, with Josh Wilkerson hitting three 3-pointers and Telvin Wilkerson adding one triple in the first five-plus minutes, giving CU a 17-5 advantage, but the RedHawks ran off nine of the next 11 points. Ahmad posted seven of the nine points, including one 3-pointer, cutting the Cumberland lead to 19-14.

Hickerson’s steal and layup pushed the advantage back to seven for CU, but consecutive buckets by Forrest made it a three-point game with 8:07 left in the period.

Telvin Wilkerson hit his second trifecta of the half and Hickerson’s two foul shots gave the Bulldogs a 26-20 lead, but two free throws by Darius Woods and a jumper by Forrest cut it to 26-24 with 5:11 remaining in the half.

Cumberland pushed the edge back to five when Flagler was fouled on a 3-pointer and hit all three foul shots, but a 3-pointer in the corner and then two free throws by Watson gave the RedHawks their first lead of the game with 1:29 left in the period. Josh Willkerson was fouled driving to the basket in the final seconds and his two free throws, tying the contest at 36 at intermission.

Josh Wilkerson led all scorers with 14 points on 4-of-8 shooting while Telvin Wilkerson and Flagler each scored seven points for CU. Forrest paced the RedHawks with 12 points and Ahmad had nine. Both teams committed nine turnovers in the half and the Bulldogs turned the MMC miscues into 12 points.

Cumberland is off until December 4 when the club returns to Mid-South Conference play, hosting St. Catharine College at 8 p.m.

Leave a Reply

Advertise Here
Advertise Here


Temple 37 Vanderbilt 7 F
Alabama 33 West Virginia 23 F
Arkansas 21 Auburn 45 F
LSU 28 Wisconsin 24