Garry Tokas lost in a super tiebreaker at No. 6 singles in the final match on the court, as 10th-ranked Cumberland dropped a 4-3 decision to Eastern Kentucky indoors on Saturday in the season opener for the Bulldogs in Richmond, Ky.
Cumberland dropped 2-of-3 doubles outings to fall behind early in the match, but singles victories by Pablo Borrero and 21st-ranked Antonio Manual Marcelo tied the match at two. A singles win from Diogo Soares knotted the score at three, leaving Tokas as the final match. Alberto Tintoré defeated the freshman, 6-4, 6-5 (5), at No. 6, preserving the victory for the Colonels.
Alex Alvaro and Juanjo de la Llera posted an 8-3 doubles win over Borrero and Marcelo at No. 1 and Daridge Saidi and Joao Maio won by the same score against Andres Burgos and Pedro Rodrigues at No. 2. Soares and Tokas claimed an 8-7 (6) victory at No. 3 versus Tintoré and Diego Asis.
Borrero was first off in singles, defeated Asis, 6-4, 6-1, at No. 3, but Florian Graskamp put EKU back ahead with a 6-1, 6-0, win at No. 4 over Burgos. Marcelo’s victory evened the score again with a 6-4, 6-3, victory at No. 1 against Alvaro, but the Colonels took a 3-2 edge when Saidi outlasted Rodrigues at No. 2, 6-2, 2-6, 6-4. Soares registered a 6-1, 6-0, win at No. 5 versus Maio, knotting the match at three before the Tintoré-Tokas outing decided the outcome.
Cumberland plays again this Sunday at Belmont University before participating in the Auburn Montgomery Spring Invitational on March 6-8 in Montgomery, Ala.
Eastern Kentucky 4, #8 Cumberland Univ. 3
1. #21 Antonio Manual Marcelo (CU) def. Alex Alvaro (EKU), 6-4, 6-3
2. Daridge Saidi (EKU) def. Pedro Rodrigues (CU), 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
3. Pablo Borrero (CU) def. Diego Asis (EKU), 6-4, 6-1
4. Florian Graskamp (EKU) def. Andres Burgos (CU), 6-1, 6-0
5. Diego Soares (CU) def. Joao Maio (EKU), 6-1, 6-0
6. Alberto Tintoré (EKU) def. Garry Tokas (CU), 6-4, 6-5 (5)
1. Alvaro-Juanjo de la Llera (EKU) def. Borrero-Marcelo (CU), 8-3
2. Saidi-Maio (EKU) def. Burgos-Rodrigues (CU), 8-3
3. Soares-Tokas (CU) def. Asis-Tintoré (EKU), 8-7 (6)
Order of Finish: Doubles (1, 2*, 3); Singles (3, 4, 1, 2, 5, 6*)